Monday 6 February 2012

A new way of treating gum disease.

After a confident lifetime of my smile being my best feature, I was now on the unwelcome road of seemingly unstoppable gum disease and wobbly teeth. I needed help and I needed it fast. I decided to see a new dentist.

If ever there is a dentist who is secretly a super hero it is Hani Mostafa. During my first appointment comic book hero Hani delivered his blows in punches. Yes, he was horrified by the state of my gums. My measurements were off the scale (the computer couldn't input gum recession that was over point 10) and Hani confirmed that my estimation was correct; I was heading towards my teeth and gums no longer being attached. This was a divorce I did not want to see.

When someone gives you really bad news it is helpful if they can deliver it with compassionate empathy, a genuine desire to help and the real life skills to do so. It was my blessed good luck that gums were to Hani  what Gotham city is to Batman. Something to be saved and cleaned up for the good of humanity. Hani is no ordinary dentist;. Hani is a dentist who had made a gumbrush to fight gum disease, and when I first saw him he was in need of a patient with gums as bad as mine, to prove just how well his gumbrush worked.

Hani sent me off with an expensive prototype of his new gumbrush and instructed me to push the brush right into the spaces between my gums and teeth. Yes, that's right, under the gumline and along the enamel that is behind them. This is the part of the mouth normally only reached by dental hygienists and, in my case, under anaesthetic.

What followed was bloody to say the least.

No comments:

Post a Comment